Issues With My Workers’ Compensation Claim
Although workers’ compensation is intended to provide swift benefits to injured workers, it is common to face roadblocks after filing a claim. If you have difficulty gaining access to the benefits you deserve, the Law Offices of John E. Hill, P.C. can help.
For most injured employees, Workers’ Compensation is the only means of financial assistance to cover medical costs and lost wages.
But benefits are not automatic. In fact, a mistake during the application process can hinder or even eliminate your eligibility for benefits — so you need professional legal guidance every step of the way. With many years of experience helping injured workers obtain benefits, our attorneys know how to secure the coverage you need and are ready to address issues and obstacles effectively.We Help Clients Handle Claim Denials and Coverage Disputes
At the outset of your injury or after you’ve received medical treatment, problems may arise with your claim for Workers’ Compensation benefits. Coverage denial occurs frequently for reasons that include the following:
- Late claim — There is a 30-day window during which you must notify your employer of an injury. Delayed notification can disqualify you from obtaining benefits. Disputes may occur if a worker suffers an injury on the job and is later laid off for other reasons. Always notify your employer as soon as you are injured or become aware of an illness or other medical condition.
- Independent contractor — The claim administrator may deny benefits on the basis of a claim made by your employer that you are working as an independent contractor rather than as an employee. Generally, employees are entitled to Workers’ Compensation benefits in California, while independent contractors are not. Our attorneys can investigate the conditions of your employment and determine whether you have been properly classified for purposes of Workers’ Compensation.
- Circumstances of injury — If it appears that an injury is not work-related or did not occur in the workplace, a claim may be denied. We work to prove your claim so you receive the benefits you deserve.
Denial of benefits is only one issue you might face as you navigate the California Workers’ Compensation system. During treatment for your injury or illness, additional problems may include the following:
- Inadequate diagnosis by your primary care physician
- Disagreement about medical treatment between your treating physician and the claim administrator
- Difficulties with an independent medical review or utilization review (UR)
In addition to benefit denial and issues with medical evaluations, problems may arise when temporary or permanent disability benefits are calculated incorrectly and an applicant receives an inadequate amount of coverage.
Whether your wage rate requires review or your claim denial requires an appeal, the Law Offices of John E. Hill, P.C. provides responsive legal counsel as we work through the issues you face to obtain the full Workers’ Compensation benefits to which you are entitled.Speak With an Experienced Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Alameda County
Fighting for Workers’ Compensation benefits is difficult when you are injured or made ill because of your job. The attorneys at the Law Offices of John E. Hill, P.C. can provide valuable guidance about obtaining the benefits you deserve. Take advantage of our flexible office hours and free initial consultation to discuss your case. Contact us online or call (510) 588-1000 today. Hablamos español.